1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

12

1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
When attending an acousmatic concert I enjoy the many ways composers find to present sounds in startling and original ways. The organising and presentation of sonic materials over a large speaker array can be made exhilarating which can lead to a heightened way of listening to the sonic world around us. I think that the shared concert experience can intensify the concentration, generating a real excitement amongst the listeners. When listening to a program of works, it is interesting to speculate how the concert has been perceived by those participating. Opinions are always varied but it is interesting how many seem to know a good piece from a bad one. Particularly when we still haven't formulated a recognised way of discoursing upon the quagmire that is acousmatic music

02:43

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
I enjoy the feeling of sonic immersion and the shifting of sound location and breadth in a space. I also enjoy being in an intensive listening situation, with high-quality loudspeakers, preferably in the dark, and without outside distractions. It is the ideal situation for listening to acousmatic music, (and increasingly for me is a rare treat). I think I appreciate this more as a composer who deals directly with shaping of sound. I would imagine that other, similarly 'experienced' acousmatic composers/listeners feel the same enthusiasm about hearing works (either their own or others' in this environment). For newcomers to diffused concerts the initial spectacle is often impressive, particularly when large-scale set-ups are used, however deciphering the practice may take a while, especially given the abstract nature of the repertoire being presented. Anecdotally, based on observing family and friends who have come to concerts of my music, there may be an initial excitement about the notion of 'surround sound' on an augmented scale, however a full-length concert of repertoire is difficult for listeners who are unfamiliar with the musical language.

audiofile28

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
The spatial essentially; being able to move around the space and experience 'the mix' in my own way.

Ear&Eye

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
I used to enjoy them. I used to produce them. I no longer hear the illusion of stereophony. In Montreal in 1994 there were about 125 acousmatic events per year. There are now [2012] about 25 - 30. I think the genre is in decline. I feel that there are many reasons for the growth, presence and decline of the genre, possibly too many and too complex to be dealt with in a questionnaire format.

Kevin Austin

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
I very much enjoy finding myself immersed in the sound world of composers and/or performers. Acousmatic music provides the opportunity to create multiple, different spaces simultaneously (or not), all addressed to the listener and during the concert those spaces are being represented by the performer. When I fill this connection between me as listener and the piece during a concert I think is a "zenith" of musical experience. This relationship between be and the sound (music piece)is what I find fascinating and high-level enjoyable experience. Regarding other listeners, during my small experience as composer/performer/listener I think every one has each own opinion and definition so I suppose will also have each own appreciation of what one enjoys in acousmatic music concerts.

Panos Amelides

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
In no particular order I enjoy: There is nothing to see One is often transported by sound to completely new spaces The shared listening experience The implied spaces on the fixed media are made real through diffusion You get to hear a composer or diffuser interpret a work

adrian

(Adrian Moore)

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
I enjoy the raw experience of diffusion. I particularly enjoy diffusion when the performer clearly amplifies and re-creates the piece as the piece itself suggests.

Tim

(Tim Cooper)

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
What do I enjoy? Great music well played. 'Well played' in my case must also include 'not played so loud I have to put my fingers in my ears' as well as 'played in a way that enhances the inherent qualities of the piece'. I also enjoy the opportunity to concentrate on the music (and not on the visual aspects of performance) What do I think others enjoy? The same. Though some others also seem to enjoy being deafened.

Lisa

(Lisa Whistlecroft)

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
To hear our own and other artists music compositions in a surround sound experience. We experience sound from all angles everyday but we only crudely perceive it. And we are so used to listening to compositions in stereo image, the fact that we can take compositions that we or other people have made and listen to them in this surround sound experience brings a sense of life and reality to the composition that stereo cannot do. When we attend an acousmatic concert, we are also focused more on listening to the performer, rather than watching them. Our ear senses dominate over our eyes, and we focus more on the movement of the sound. And I think it is those reasons that attract people to acousmatic concerts.

Fenton

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
As a listener, I enjoy the focus and attention directed towards a solely aural experience. Understanding the creative process of working with sound material, I find it rewarding to hear works that are detailed and well-crafted. In multi-channel loudspeaker set-ups it is enjoyable to hear the sound in space and the movements that can occur from both compositional decisions and live in diffusion.

mblackburn

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
I enjoy to listen to music not being influenced by a (complex) visual form, just because i can easily stimulate the imagination and curiosity. I think and hope it's the same for the others.

gab_pao

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
Sonic experience—principally the sensation of sound saturation/envelopment and spatialisation (assuming the diffusion and/or multichannel deployment is accomplished), along with (I hope) rich, complex and composed sound worlds and interesting compositional narratives. I also enjoy the obligation to sit in darkness and simply listen (i.e. time out from other activities and the meditative act of concentrated listening). I assume others enjoy much the same things.

oxtail74

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
Listening in the dark, preferably alone. I have no idea what other people enjoy, although it is natural to asume that they listen in the way I do!

JEC

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
Personally I find acousmatic concerts particularly engaging. It's easier for me to connect with the music when it's being diffused than when listening back over a hifi system. I believe it has something to do with the atmosphere of an acousmatic concert. As someone who has diffused and taught diffusion himself the style of diffuse adopted by the interpreter is also of interest. For others I imagine they might share the same reasons I've listed above.

mikegatt

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Leigh Landy

John Young

David Berezan

Pete Stollery

Re: 1. What do you enjoy about acousmatic music concerts and what do you think others enjoy?

Simon Smith
Administrator
All good music has the power to move in two senses: emotionally and transcendentally - that is to another dimension 'away from' the here and now (should that be the 'hear and now'?!). For me acousmatic music has this power particularly strongly - it conjours up (good phrase) feelings and images that (if not blw me away then at least) take me away. I would not like to say if this holds for others but I have certainly met many others for whom this is true. If this is a somewhat 'romantic' listening mode then a more 'classical' one is also possible - there are pieces that are not so much moving emotionally as stunningly beautiful soundworlds in and of themselves.

Paws

(Simon Emmerson)
12